CLOSE
CLOSE AD

MCO: 'Stranded' Students Will Be Allowed To Return Home From Apr 27

  • 24 Apr 2020
MCO-Stranded-Students-Will-Be-Allowed-To-Return-Home-From-Apr-27

Higher education students stranded at campus during the Movement Control Order (MCO) will be allowed to return home beginning April 27, but to green zones (areas with zero COVID-19 cases) only. 

According to Defence Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob, the students' travel will also be restricted from 9pm to 9am, in buses with limited passenger capacity, so that social distancing rules are adhered to. 

Students who board the buses will be screened for symptoms before getting on board, and they will be given food and face masks once inside. 

After reaching their hometowns, they will be dropped off at the district offices or the police stations near their homes, before being sent home. 

The cost for this will be borne by the government.

Students who wish to drive home will only be allowed to do so within the state, in one person one car. The said students must also first obtain a letter of aproval from the nearest police station before starting the drive home. 

As for students from Sabah and Sarawak, they will be flown to the airport closest to their homes, after which they will have be sent home by the relevant government agencies. 

The students will be subjected to a 14-day quarantine upon arrival. 

According to Ismail further, about 85% students, or about 53,000 under the purview of the Higher Education Ministy, had opted to return home, while the remaining 15% had chosen to remain on campus. 

Last night, Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin announced a fourth extension to the Movement Control Order (MCO) enforced to contain the spread of COVID-19, until May 12. 

As of yesterday, there were 5,603 COVID-19 cases in the country, with 95 deaths. 

Globally, the disease has affected more than 2.7 million people and killed over 190,000. 



Photo source: Astro Awani.
 



Suggested Articles

No-Further-Action-Against-PAS-Minister-For-Breaching-COVID-19-Quarantine-Cops News
ARTICLE
  • 21 Oct 2020

No Further Action Against PAS Minister For Breaching COVID-19 Quarantine: Cops

No further action will be taken against Plantation Industries and Commodities Minister Khairuddin Aman Razali for breaching his COVID-19 quarantine, the police said today. 

Cops-Nab-Woman-Who-Allegedly-Worked-With-Brother-To-Kill-Her-Blind-Husband-for-His-Millions News
ARTICLE
  • 21 Oct 2020

Cops Nab Woman Who Allegedly Worked With Brother To Kill Her Blind Husband for His Millions

Police have detained a woman and her brother for allegedly killing her blind husband to inherit his millions worth of fortune, and trying to stage the incident as a robbery gone wrong. 

Couple-Live-In-Car-Parked-At-Petrol-Station-After-Losing-Jobs-To-COVID-19 News
ARTICLE
  • 21 Oct 2020

Couple Live In Car Parked At Petrol Station After Losing Jobs To COVID-19

A couple who spent more than a week in a car parked at a petrol station in Perak, after losing their jobs in Singapore due to COVID-19, will get a new leash on life this Deepavali, after their plight was noticed by the authorities. 

Youth-Stabs-Father-Who-Reprimanded-Him-Over-PUBG-Obsession News
ARTICLE
  • 20 Oct 2020

Youth Stabs Father Who Reprimanded Him Over PUBG Obsession

A youth in Andhra Pradesh stabbed his father after the man reprimanded him for playing PlayerUnknown's Battleground (PUBG) for too long, before stabbing himself.

From-Doctor-to-Patient-A-COVID-19-Survivor-Recalls-Her-Ordeal News
ARTICLE
  • 20 Oct 2020

From Doctor to Patient: A COVID-19 Survivor Recalls Her Ordeal

A young doctor, who battled COVID-19 on the frontline and ended up contracting the disease herself, recalls her ordeal. 

Coronavirus-Can-Survive-Up-to-Nine-Hours-on-Human-Skin-Study-Finds News
ARTICLE
  • 19 Oct 2020

Coronavirus Can Survive Up to Nine Hours on Human Skin, Study Finds

The novel coronavirus, which causes COVID-19, can survive up to nine hours on human skin, a Japanese study has found, stressing the importance of frequent hand washing to keep the virus at bay,